Saturday, May 12, 2012

A Sunny Day on The Cape....

And I'm pretty sure all the gull at the top of the head is thinking is: "Go get your own whale!"

Explored the Cape Cod National Seashore a bit this morning on the way to Provincetown to go visit some whales. The whales that feed here mate off the coast of the Dominican Republic (Silver Bank), which means it's possible that I swam with some of these whales 2 yrs ago! I won't know until I compare the fluke photos, but I love that it's possible! But we'll get to the whales in a minute...

What I have seen of the National Seashore so far is very nice - great sand dunes, long empty beaches, and lots of lighthouses:

Pond behind one of the Nat'l Seashore visitor centers - according to a sign aboust shellfish, red tide is an issue in this area right now:

Too calm for surfers:

The Nauset Light:

The Cape Cod Light:

Provincetown from the boat:

Back to the whales....the Humpbacks come here to Stellwagen Bank each spring to feed in the nutrient rich waters. While I wasn't impressed with the tour operator overall - more expensive than Monterey, too many people & the trip is only half as long - it did give me the opportunity to see the best example of bubble feeding that I've ever seen. And besides, any day on the water hanging out with whales is a good day!

Here's a better view of the baleen....this whale kept his head up for an unusually long time. Appreciate that!

Two feeding whales:
Last, but not least....art along the wharf in Provincetown.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend. More soon.....

2 comments:

  1. You know he kept his head out of the water extra long just for you! SL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Of course he did..... :-)

    ReplyDelete