Wednesday, May 16, 2012

A Foggy Day in Maine...

Hey Everyone!

I think I lucked out today - there was some rain and lots of fog, but things cleared for about half of one of my stops today and it was great timing. The only real disappointment was that the ugly weather intensified before I could wander more cool rocks. But it's okay....there will be more!

First thing this morning I wandered around Perkins Cove in Ogunquit. It has the only pedestrian drawbridge in the country. Kinda cool, huh?! The pictures include: the cove, the bridge & its signs just for fun.


If only it hadn't been foggy, then maybe I could have been the adult operator of the drawbridge :-)

The big stop of the day was Popham Beach State Park in Phippsburg (near Bath, ME). This beach is cool for at least two reasons: it's big and at low tide you can walk out to one of the islands and wander around. I planned my day so I'd arrive before low tide and have plenty of time to explore, but as you can see from my first beach pic the weather was NOT promising!


However, the fog began to clear as I wandered the beach and made my way to the island....how lucky!

This is the beach as seen from the island, followed by one more taken halfway between the island and the shore.


This mini lighthouse - in the Phippsburg/Bath area - was just too cute not to post.
By the time I arrived at the Pemaquid Point Lighthouse (1835) the weather had taken a permanent turn - rain and fog. The light sits on the hill atop these rocks, which are very accessible but not on a day like this. It would be stunning on a sunny day. We'll have to see if I can stop myself from trying again tomorrow....

Weathermen continue to predict sunny weather for the next few days.... Yay! Will write again soon.

3 comments:

  1. Okay, that low tide-walking to the island-thing is very cool! Glad the sun came out for that one. Sorry you'll have keep draw-bridge operator in the ol' bucket list for a bit longer. Something tells me you'll be back there today...SL :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. A pedestrian draw bridge... it doesn't get any cooler than that!

    ReplyDelete
  3. MB! I so agree with you! Maybe we should build one over Lake Elmo or something....you in?! :-)

    ReplyDelete