Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Down East...

Hey Everybody!

The rain continued overnight and earlier this morning, but then a Maine miracle! No rain for a few hours. The rain has started again and will be heavy for about a day (so say the experts), but then another miracle starting Thursday: sunny and 70s for a few days. Yay!

What does this mean for you? More pictures of the beautiful Maine Coast. First stop - Two Lights State Park, which has no sandy beach, but rocks that a person could get lost on for hours! I spent about 2hrs climbing. In fact, I returned for more later this afternoon but the rain started back up. It also has lots of picnic tables and grills, and benches along the cliff. I highly recommend it!

There is another state park a couple miles away - Crescent Beach - with sandy beaches, but I would recommend Old Orchard if you want a sandy beach....it's much nicer.

I'm not sure if you'll be able to tell, but in person these rocks look like a petrified forest. It's very cool.

Near the top:

A bit further down:


Really close up.....

Nearby coastal homes:

So, Two Lights State Park is named in honor of the Twin Lights in Cape Elizabeth (1828), which are not located in the park. They aren't open to the public either. One is now privately owned and the other is automated. The lighthouses are near the edges of the picture, which I had to take from a small parking lot for an unnamed beach. Well, locals probably know the name...

Then it was off to the Portland Head Light (1791) - also in Cape Elizabeth. It is now part of Fort Williams Park, as is the Goddard Mansion (1858). Two pics of same place so you can see an old lighthouse in the distance.

The grounds are very nice - lots of green grass and a small, rocky beach. I haven't yet learned what kind, but these rocky Maine beaches have tons of spiders hiding in the rocks. It's a little creepy, but I assume they are harmless or surely they'd have signs! Right?

Because I just had to...I ran off to Portland's Art Museum. Yep, they have two Monets. I've lost count of how many I've been able to see so far, but I will not post pics this time :-). Except for this one mussel shell dress (artist is B. White).

Not sure what I'll do tomorrow as it all depends on that rain. But I will. E in touch again soon...thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. I could definitely see how the rocks look petrified (but not scared). Very cool. I still want a beach house in Maine. It is the coolest place on Earth...I'm pretty sure. Oh, and I want a private plane to fly me there...commercial flights from here would just be a pain. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe we should talk to MB about this! With all the money left over after we buy a place on Martha's Vineyard....we could buy a plane and a house in Maine! Might as well dream big.....
    Maine is very cool, but the CA cliffs and rocks still come out on top for me.

    ReplyDelete