Monday, May 21, 2012

Acadia National Park - Day 2

Greetings from sunny Maine!

I got a pretty early start today - since it's light around 4am! Sunrise was just before 5am. I began the day with my third trip down the trail to wander the coast. I could sit there all day, but I went to Jordan Pond. Not only is it a beautiful spot, but also it's a less busy place if you take the long trail & wander some of the linked trails. It's impossible to explore all of them in such a short visit.

Oh wait.... on the way to Jordan's Pond I found this hidden beach that I missed the first day. It's just off the road and down a bunch of stairs. Great spot...only 3 people were there, including me. Bring a thick towel if you plan to sit here for long....and remember to be prepared for all those beach spiders! Dontcha just love these rocks! It is illegal to remove them...Bummer!


This is the Bass Harbor Head Light (1858) at the southernmost tip of Mount Desert Island. There were eight other islands visible from this spot. Only one of them is inhabited year-round now. These waters used to be very busy and about one in five Maine residents were mariners.
Last but not least....a view from the highest peak, Cadillac Mountain.
I am convinced that I lucked into the best weekend here - great weather and it won't be busy until Memorial Day! Something to keep in mind for your Maine travels: watch the weather. It was explained to me that Maine folks will spend the first two nice weekends on their yards, then head for the outdoors. All that rain kept the natives home in the yard...

On the other hand, I couldn't go out on a Maine whale watch trip because the operators aren't running yet. The lighthouse boat tour operators aren't running yet either. If you want stuff to be open...come to Maine in June!

Two more trips to the ocean path...and I was still reluctant to leave Maine! So, stay tuned for one more post from Maine. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Photo #2--My FAVORITE so far! I really see a trip back to Maine in your future. Too bad it's colder there, or I think you might move there. SL

    ReplyDelete