Wednesday, May 9, 2012

In Pursuit of Monet...

Hey Everyone,

The rain has returned to New England, but that afternoon of sunshine on Monday was SO nice! I hope that happens again....at least by the time I get to Maine, which is fast approaching. All of this is from yesterday. This is a pic of a funky building in Providence, RI. I have no idea what it is (or was).

I do know I didn't linger long in Providence because the parking attendant made it pretty clear I could expect to have my bike stolen. But I spent about 2 hours - sometimes wondering whether the attendant was watching my bike or calling his buddy in the bike thief ring :-). Mostly I wandered through the Rhode Island School of Design, which is a very nice museum; more than I expected and not just because their Monet paintings were actually on view.

So, if you want to see some old art.....read on. If not, you should stop here because that's all I have today. :-)

From the RISD Art Museum:

Monet's 1874 The Basin at Argenteuil

Rodin's The Hand of God

Next I head straight for Boston's Museum of Fine Arts because they have the largest collection of Monet outside of France. In fact, their Monet Gallery has 9 Monets, along with Renoirs, Van Goghs, a Rodin sculpture....and some other stuff. I asked the Gallery's Docent if there were any other Monets in this huge museum and he looked at me like I was the dumbest person on the planet and said, "If you mean on display, no. There are others, but they are not out." Funny....it didn't take me but 5 minutes to find another Monet outside the gallery. I love being right...I accept that as one of my flaws! However, one of my favorite paintings, which the museum has, was not on display. Bummer! If I lived in New England...I would be a member of this museum. It is far too much to absorb in one day, especially when it's costing $12/hr to park!!

From Egypt 2645-2323 B.C.

Sorry it's crooked, but it's Picasso's naked woman...don't think crooked will hurt it!

A couple by Van Gogh:

Finally, two more Monet. Both are the Royal Cathedral:

Although I couldn't stop to take any pictures, Boston/Cambridge has some of the coolest buildings! You'll just have to go! I have more on the agenda in Boston & other points in Massachusetts, but head further north in the eternal rain...I'm holding out for better weather for the coast. :-)

Next post will be later tonight or maybe tomorrow....and it will be all outdoors, no museums! Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. Hoping with all my heart that you have better weather tomorrow! SL

    ReplyDelete