Thursday, August 2, 2012

Bushwalking

G'day Mates!

I never actually say that to anybody here....I fear it would sound too fake coming out of my American mouth! But I admit that I get a kick out of it when somebody says it to me.

Anyway...about the bushwalking: I hopped another ferry in Palm Beach (home of a local soap opera) to Ku-Ring-Gai Chase National Park. Here's a photo of Palm Beach - big homes & I'm guessing great faith in Mother Nature since some folks built at water level and put their driveways on stilts above them.

This park is not far from Sydney and was totally worth a visit. First of all, it's beautiful from the second you arrive. Secondly, it was deserted except for one tent (yep, there's a small campground) & even that was gone after my bushwalk. Clearly, the perfect time to camp here is during a Sydney winter - a bit cool at night, but great weather during the day.

As an aside: last night this 20-person female dorm was not full and it was quiet inside. Tonight it looks to be full and BOTH snorers are next to me. (No, they are not as loud as R!)...worst of all, they are not synchronized & that means the snores are off-beat & nearly constant! Oh joy!

Back to the park....the third reason this place is so cool: Swamp Wallabies!! I had read about the park but didn't know I would get to see dozens of little kangaroos! Beware of just one thing: the ground nesting birds (didn't know about them either) REALLY don't want you near their nests. Apparently, I got too close to a nest. I thought I was gonna lose an eye or worse! Just FYI: telling them you're sorry doesn't help.


The fourth reason the park is worthwhile - Aboriginal Rock Etchings.
As a reward for my first official bushwalking experience I went to Chocolate by the Bald Man for dinner. Here it is! Some people come to Australia and splurge on hotel rooms and opals. Not me...I choose chocolate. Commando, if you are reading this.... I did it for you too! :-)
Now, a few images from the bush walk. Let me just say that I couldn't take a photo that would do justice to the steepness of the climb. What I can tell you is that it was just over an hour steadily up to the top; while it was less than 30min back down to the beach.
 
Oh....almost forgot....Manly is the first place I've ever seen a surfing Ronald! And it was a couple days before I noticed this one. I was busy noticing the wharf benches.
Soon I will post about bushwalking in The Outback. For now, I think you should know that I got the first left-side driving under my belt in The Outback! It's a breeze. I haven't gone to the wrong driver's side once. However, I have turned on the wipers 6 times when I wanted the blinker. They switched those levers too! By far the weirdest thing to me is having the rear view mirror on the left....it's awkward & I have to remind myself to use it. Most importantly though....I haven't hit any 'roos.

Speaking of 'roos: I will not be eating any kangaroo meat. I have asked a few people and have yet to find one person who liked it. Besides I didn't want to anyway. Somebody must enjoy it....not only is it served in a wrap, but also it's a pizza topping....same as croc meat.

I gotta pack, gas up the car and get to the airport....more soon. But nt before I tell you that one of the snorers has followed me to the commons (wifi) room....she eats loudly too!

2 comments:

  1. Rich takes it to mean that "loudest" equals "best". I disagree. Hope you brought your ear plugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wallabies - that's a cool word to go along with a cool animal.

    ReplyDelete