Thursday, August 23, 2012

About Vegemite.....

First of all, thanks to MB and Sharmi for these pics that I didn't tell you I was borrowing.....I hope you'll agree that it was necessary :-)
 
Now, one last thing about Australia before we move on to the next adventure. I returned to MT with some packets of Vegemite at the request of my friend's husband. Prior to my departure, I was informed that one website said Vegemite tasted like vomit. I brought some back anyway!
 
From the outside the package seems appealing, right? And harmless.
 


 
However.... it was 100% agreed that this stuff sucked! Really, it is the nicest way to put it. We all tasted it. The best description of it: very salty soy sauce. As you can see, it looks like some sort of gel or tar. We concluded it might be used to fill pot holes or to repair flat bike tires. MB's family tried and reported back that they felt lucky to survive the taste test. 
 

 
If anybody else NEEDS to try it....I would be willing to return to Australia for another visit to get more. :-) Or if any of you decide to go, I would gladly carry your bags just to get there again....
 
When you think about it though, it's scary that I found more people who eat 'roo meat than Vegemite. I never met even one person who ate it. Somebody does....it's in the grocery stores & McDonald's gives it away.
 
That's all for tonight....I'll be in touch in a few days from the road. 

2 comments: