Thursday, August 9, 2012

Fraser Island

Hey Everybody!

So, today's unexpected activity was a day trip to Fraser Island. It is accessible only by a vehicle barge (35min crossing) & once on the island by 4WD only. Even some of those vehicles get stuck in the dry sand.

I read about this World Heritage Site and didn't think I'd be able to squeeze in a visit, but then Brisbane happened and here I am.

Fraser Island is the largest sand island in the world. And the only place where tall rainforests grow on sand dunes so high above sea level (656ft). It is known for its colored sand cliffs and 100+ fresh water lakes.

There are a couple hundred Dingoes on the island. I saw none. There are signs all over warning parents to stay with their children. In honor of MB's birthday.....I will confess that Elaine's party line keeps running through my head: "Maybe a Dingo ate your baby." :-)

This was not an easy day and I don't recommend the trip unless you REALLY want to see the island. I'd go back once more, but only if I could arrange a two night stay there. I had no idea I'd spend most of it in a barely air-conditioned bus that bounced us out of our seats more times than I can count. Or that when we reached a spot, we'd only get a few minutes off the bus. One of the conclusions I've come to about Queensland is that its tourism business is so big that some activities are going to be marketed with not quite accurate descriptions.

My pics from today are meager. The rainforest is lovely. The amount of fresh water on this island surrounded by salt water is impressive - and clean enough to drink without filtering. The beach is awesome - we drove at least 50 miles of the beach today. Unfortunately, the sharks and jellies make swimming dangerous. Nobody said we couldn't ditch lunch and wade in... It's not everyday I get to touch the South Pacific!

King Ferns - largest ferns in the world says the guide.

The Staghorn Ferns are huge and plentiful.

The beach:


Eli Creek flowing into the ocean.
The Pinnacles (one example of colored cliffs):

Speaking of jellies...here is one of the many bluebottle jellies I saw. Following is a pic of the S. Pacific ....must be hard for surfers to stay off these waves, but I saw none. There were several fishermen, but I heard that fishermen have been surrounded by Tiger sharks when they wade in with a long line of bait.

This is the Maheno shipwreck (1935) ...this was the first place I could touch the water.

I head out again early in the morning & must do laundry before I go to bed after tomorrow's great adventure (that's your hint!). Thanks, as always, for stopping by! Hope to write again soon.

2 comments:

  1. "And then Brisbain happened." Reminds me of the time I was working with a 4th grader in the fall. She said, "I knew my multiplication facts, but then summer happened." :) Love the wave picture. Glad people take the whole "Stay out of the water" think seriously! Even you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Elaine...I mean J. Love that Seinfeld line, when Elaine is mocking a lady looking for her fiance.
    That blue jellyfish looks kinda cool and the rainforest is beautiful.

    ReplyDelete