Friday, August 3, 2012

The Australian Outback

Hey Everybody!

Now that I have (a) landed in Melbourne, (b) successfully driven all around the city center at traffic hour on a Friday evening, and (c) checked into an actual hotel for the first time since arriving in Australia.....it seemed like a good time to write about my days in the Northern Territory. Don't believe me... :-) Here I am: hat, jacket, backpack, camera, and all.... bushwalking near Kata-Tjuta (The Olgas). The Olgas are the less famous (but possibly more beautiful) rock formation at the national park.

First of all, The Outback it is unbelievably large...I saw only a small part & then was lucky to be able to see a few hundred kilometers of it during the flights in and out. Secondly, it is stunning!

Yes, it's desert. Yes, it's dry - 12inches of rain per year on average. The sand is SO much harder to walk in than at the beach because it has no moisture to hold it together. Yes, it was cold before sunrise (approx 30F) and gets hot (up to 130F in summertime); so glad it's winter here! Out temps were probably not over 80*. This place is full of life and the colors change throughout the day. It's very cool!

So, on 7/31 I flew to Uluru (Ayers Rock) to spend 3 nights in The Outback. In Sydney a few people told me 2 days was enough; I wish I'd had one more night. But it's ok...I met a very cool expat when I was checking in tonight. Before he went to his room to do paperwork he gave me lots of good ideas for the rest of my trip. So did the man on the flight today. And the woman at the car hire counter at Ayers airport...and.... People here seem very happy to share tips with visitors.

This was my first glimpse of Uluru.

Even from a distance I'd swear I could see or feel this rock breathing. Unfortunately, the Ayers Rock resort (the ONLY place to stay) has a real noise pollution issue (in my opinion) and I found it very difficult to hear the desert sounds until I went bushwalking for hours each of the next two days. But I did get the first true opportunity - under a cloudless sky - to see the Southern Cross for the first time.

Now a little closer:

First close-up of the Outback's red earth while walking around the resort area:

And the first desert flower:

There is animal life here too - lots of birds, very cool lizards (sadly, they hibernate in the winter), and these guys were hanging out in the area too!

The one-humped camel....

And a larger kangaroo. I got to see two kangaroos here, but barely a chance to get a photo. Turns out I was walking with former kangaroo factory workers (yes, really! I thought they were kidding at first) and I'm pretty sure the 'roos sensed their presence!

Another view of The Olgas:

The first full day I went to Kata-Tjuta. The long hike there is called Valley of the Winds. It's long and not always easy - up and down hills like this - but it's the only way to really see the place!

This is how orange the rock turned in the afternoon, out of the sun...even my skin and hat were turning a bit orange.
 
 
That's probably enough pics for one post....more on the way.

2 comments:

  1. To me this is beautiful in the same ways that Eastern MT or Southern UT/CO are. And so nice to see you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful picture of the red mountains with the moon in the background. Love that red soil.

    ReplyDelete