Monday, August 13, 2012

Back in Sydney

Hey Everybody!

I guess I should have expected it, but I didn't....Queensland's parting gift to me: a cold. Just what I was hoping for during my last few days in Australia. Sunday night I made myself go to bed early and I didn't come out of my room until about Noon. And not for very long even then. It's about 7pm on Monday night and I'm headed back to bed. Don't necessarily sleep, but it's rest & maybe I can will the damn thing away....maybe!

I still hope to see a few things, but mostly when I've been outside I've just wandered across the street to the beach to watch all the surfers enjoying the strong southerly winds.

Since I have no pics for you I thought I'd make a list of some differences between home and Australia.

1. Bottle of water or soda is $3.50-4.00 each at minimum

2. A paperback copy of The Hungry Caterpillar is $25 here! Actually, I have concluded that most books are overpriced here. I don't know why & I asked a local reader who doesn't know why either.

3. I read that people don't travel to Australia for the food, but nowhere did it just come out and state that the food sucks. Sure it was implied...and, mostly....it does! There are exceptions, but not many. And it's all expensive.

4. Bananas are $4/kilogram - ridiculous!

5. Police will write YOU a ticket if you leave your car unlocked, making it easier for thieves to break-in. It didn't happen to me, but I saw a poster about it displayed. It read "crime is everyone's responsibility." While I agree it's unwise to leave a car unlocked I do NOT believe it's a criminal offense! Clearly, I cannot live here after all!

6. Drinking age is 18.

7. Just saw a commercial re: McDonald's new sandwich - a lamb burger.

8. Speaking of McDonald's, Hervey Bay has the first Mobile McCafe van in the world. You know, for those times your party just has to have coffee....I guess.

9. I didn't eat at one, but there are lots of Hungry Jacks here. They look and smell like Burger Kings....anybody know if there's a connection?

10. Much of the Top 40 music is American.

11. American Monday Night Football live games come on at 10am Tues. But I don't know why an Aussie would watch it.

12. After watching some of Aussie's Footy for the last three weeks....our NFL boys, hate to say it, just look like wimps!

13. Every electric switch I've come across is turned on and off individually.

14. I finally found people who like kangaroo meat. According to them, the trick is to find someone who knows how to cook it! And they said to eat it like a steak...more raw than not. Yep, I'm out! I was going to bring back some jerky for people to try, but was told that's the worst way to eat it. Sorry guys...guess you'll have to come here to try it.

15. Aussie's seem to like us as much as we like them!

That's all I can think of right now. Hope to write again before leaving. Have a good week. Thanks for stopping by!

1 comment:

  1. So sorry you're sick, but I do have to say that it's okay to take a "rest" day or two and just watch surfers!

    About your list:
    1. McDonald's is not promoting the lamb thing here. That's just wrong.
    2.Drinking age 18--don't take my kids with you next time!
    3. Why would then NOT watch NFL--especially if they call their own game "footy". Duh!
    4. Kangaroo meat--gross!

    Hope you're feeling better soon! SL

    ReplyDelete