Tuesday, August 14, 2012

Almost outta time

Hey Everybody!

I have good news and bad news to report. The bad news is that I'm still sick - not gonna will away this cold. However, between 1a-5a this morning I got my longest undisturbed rest in the last couple of days. That was enough improvement to convince me to tackle a bit more of Sydney for a few hours. I had to limit the amount of walking required because breathing makes me cough....it's a bit inconvenient, but I do believe I will live. I wasn't sure yesterday! I hate being sick....esp. in Australia with time ticking away.

But enough whining....I caught a ferry just to ride it round trip and see where it went. This is one of the stops on the Watsons Bay ferry. And it pretty well represents the parts of Sydney Harbour that I've seen.

Low tide prevented me from taking another ferry in the opposite direction, so I hopped a train & a bus to the Harvey Gallery's The Art of Dr. Seuss. Can't go wrong with him!!

It is located at 8 Oxford St. The front door sign reads: "Come inside, where it's sunny."

This is the first (and only I think) Dr. Seuss art gallery outside the US. It's just cool and fun....and the gallery manager was great, even let me snap a couple pics because he was certain I'd tell others about it. They even have the secret art of Dr. Suess....and there's a whole book about the drawing he did in the middle of the night. Their is a whole world of Dr. Seuss art. At least 40 unseen pieces were found in his home. But this one is familiar to all....

After Dr. Suess I was ready to head back toward base for another early to bed....I have only tomorrow to get to the Blue Mountains. I don't yet know if I can do it; we'll see how the night goes. I'd really like to get there. I did get a couple more pics for you though. This is The Corso - it's a shopping/dining strip between the Manly Wharf and Manly Beach. The other pic is surfers (all those black dots) at Manly Beach still hoping to catch a wave.

And, a few more differences that I remembered today:


1. The man is purse is definitely more common here.

2. Our passing lane is on the left; Australia's on the right.

3. But they don't call it passing....they call it overtaking.

4. If you stop at the little massage stand at Manly Wharf, you can pay $10+ for various massages & then get a health fund rebate. I'm just guessing we don't do that. Anybody?

5. Apparently it's ok for a dude to say "did you lose your knickers?" to a bus driver working in his shorts. Heard that today.

6. One more thing about bus drivers: it also seems to be ok for drivers to bring their small radios on board so they can rock out while they drive -even if they cannot carry a tune. I love that!

7. If you pay almost $20 for yet another lousy fish & chips dinner...sometimes you have to spend an extra .40 on a tiny packet of tarter sauce. Are you kidding me?!

8. I can tell you only two places worth a meal - three if we count Chocolate by The Bald Man. Nando's (chicken dishes), the gelato place at the Manly Wharf, and the chocolate place.

I better post this and get to bed....more soon. Thanks for stopping by!

 

1 comment:

  1. See? Doctor Seuss can make anyone feel better! :) SL

    ReplyDelete