Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Iceland trip winding down....

Hey Everybody!

The best way to avoid packing....post something! The problem is the hostel's wifi is very slow, but I'm gonna try! If not, I'll have plenty of hours sitting in airports in the next day or so....

Today was my last full day in Iceland....I wish I were staying longer! Mostly because I think it's a beautiful & cool place, but also because the weather started improving late this afternoon. One good thing: the rain held off until just after snorkeling in the fissure between the North American & European continents. Since I have only the disposable camera for water shots...the on dry land shots will have to do for now.

The tectonic plates move about 3cm/year & there are mire than a hubdred small earthquakes per day in thie area....very small & not noticed except by scientists.

We entered the water via these stairs in our fins. That is my hiking boot....I took the pic after. Way easier to take the stairs with fins than I thought it might be. The blue fins belong to a group of divers who just entered.

I don't know how cold the water was....our guide wouldn't tell us :-). I will tell you that the dressing time for dry suits was longer than for a simple wet suit. I have never felt more like an astronaut in my entire life! But it worked....water was very comfortable & not a drop of water got on my clothing. The lips get a bit cold after a few minutes, but you get used to that. I think we were in the water about 30-40 minutes. I asked the guide & he said he's been in for as long as 3 hours. I would LOVE to snorkel here again.


This is the actual beginning point....we ended in a lagoon because it has greater visibility than the lake.

This is the best above ground shot I could get to show you the underwater rock formations. It is almost always deeper than it looks....sometimes a couple hundred feet where we were this morning. I expected no life due to the cold water. I saw no fish, but there were two types of algae.



The rain came down harder and harder for the next few hours, so I returned to Reykjavik, returned the rental car, walked around the city for a few hours. These are up just a couple of fun pics for tonight.

This is the backside of the concert hall.
And this is a bt of local art.....
I better get back to packing & to bed. I will be in touch soon. Thanks!

1 comment:

  1. Loving all the green there. Everything is so brown and dry here. Safe travels my friend. See you soon!

    ReplyDelete