Monday, April 9, 2012

Time is relative!

In Savannah, when the locals say "the brand new bridge" or " that building was just built" they mean sometime in the last 5-25 years. I've had that experience before...I'm still not used to it. But when your buildings, streets and stories are hundreds of years old...what's 5 or 25 years, right?

This was my first visit to Savannah. It is both humbling (specifically in regard to my photographic aspirations!) and magnetic. I already know I want to return at least one more time and stay longer. I walked the historic district for hours - from the Riverfront to somewhere beyond Gaston St.

The architecture is remarkable - all of it. There are buildings in great need of repair, beautifully restored buildings, and buildings that are going strong without any intervention. I'm going to post a couple pics of buildings, but they are not worthy of what I actually saw! Not only is it very tough to get some of the buildings photographed, but also I learned very quickly how important light is in this town. Wherever I was...it was the wrong time of day for the picture I wanted to take. That's not an excuse, but it is good to know for next time!

One of my favorite shots today was this old brick building. I don't know anything about the structure, but I loved the colors.

Magnolia Hall had the only "live" stairs that I saw today.

This street graciously provided my best chance for a photo of some of the Victorian homes. Across the street, one of the many picturesque Live Oak paths. I'm just going to keep on posting these trees until I'm tired of them :-).

I talked to a psychic/medium for several minutes at this old house: The Sorrel-Weed House is on the nightly ghost tours. During the day it offers architecture tours, but even then the discussions seem to wander to the paranormal. Anyway, this young psychic loves her job - she handed me her phone so I could see a picture of a ghost & watch a video full of ghost orbs (is that what they're called?). She knew I was skeptical, but I have to say that in the moment it's very intriguing.

This is the fountain from "The Book" - how Savannah refers to "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil." Have you read this book? It's so good, and true for those of you who enjoy a sophisticated true-crime, tell-all. There's also a movie with Kevin Spacey, but that book!! One visit to Savannah and I want to read it again.

No post about Savannah would be complete if I didn't include ironwork. The presence of this Dauphin fish for ship fleets was considered a blessing, so in a city that valued decorative iron it made sense to add a permanent blessing for luck and prosperity to one's home. And the entrance to an antique shop is part of the intrigue and charm of the historic district.


My last stop today was a lucky accident. I'd been wandering somewhat aimlessly with the intention of heading back to the car when I remembered I hadn't had breakfast or lunch yet. I'd looked for something down on the Riverfront earlier, but nothing appealed me - not even at The Shrimp Factory. Oh wait, that's not quite true....my one purchase on River Street was a dark chocolate graham cracker s'more. Excellent!

Anyway, it was about 4pm, so I decided to stop in the Smooth Cafe on Bull Street - 143 Bull Street. For those who get to Savannah, this cafe is a must! First of all, the coffee is fresher than you'll find anyplace else. It's delivered two days after it's been roasted about one mile from the cafe. Secondly, their hot pretzels are amazing! Best ever! And, finally, the happy owners (Katie & Gregory- I hope I got that right!) are lovely people. They travelled about 70,000 miles (over 18 months) in their car to find the perfect cafe....and then opened the perfect one themselves. How cool is that?!

Next post will be from South Carolina....

No comments:

Post a Comment