Thursday, April 19, 2012

Caves, Cars and Mountains

Hey Everybody,

Here's that promised break from the coast...


First, Luray Caverns....I am only posting 2 pictures from this stop. I took WAY more. I have been in caves in several states and outside the US...this is the most spectacular cave. If you don't like caves, you might like this one. If you like caves, this place is a must!


One of the extras of the pricey entrance fee ($24) is the Car & Carriage Museum. While I went in unsure about what to expect, it turned out to be pretty cool. The first pic is of a 1727-29 carriage. This is followed by an 1892 Benz -as in Mercedez Benz. Next is the Horse Tricycle used by circus clowns (1920-30s). To move, clowns had to pump the handlebars up and down.

After the cave tour I visited Shenendoah National Park. Great trails, but I was a few weeks early to see everything spring back to life. Then I stopped at another cave, Skyline Caverns. For the most part, I have tried to leave my negative opinions out of the blog. I figure if someone I know travels to a particular place I can recommend (or warn) individually... However, this place was overpriced and just not something I could recommend. There's not much to see and I found their use of lights annoying. Its one saving grace is the Anthodites, which are rare mineral formations that sort of look like white sea urchins, but are more commonly referred to as "cave flowers." Skyline Caverns is the only place int the US where the general public can view them. The weird thing is that I am certain I have seen them before, but where??
Until next time....

1 comment:

  1. Maybe you saw them on the internet or in a book while prepping for this trip, silly! SL

    ReplyDelete