Saturday, April 28, 2012

Baltimore Style

As promised, more from Baltimore. My first stop on Friday morning was the American Visionary Arts Museum. This museum has three buildings of folk art, which includes a cabaret mechanical theatre, a full size man made out of telephone wires (i think it's my favorite), amazing toothpick and paper plate art pieces, and the big bra ball that made national news. While I understand, I was most disappointed that I couldn't take any photos inside.
Baltimore is known for its Rowhouses....this was just about the only car-free street I could find to snap a photo. A number of the front stairs in this town are marble....Aren't they beautiful?!
One of the recent Rowhouse trends is a crow's nest....very nice!
One of my favorite Baltimore discoveries on Thursday was painted screens. After the museum I went searching....Baltimore locals have been painting screens for their Rowhouses since 1913. While they aren't as easy to find as they would have been in their heyday (40s-50s), they're around and seem to be making a bit of a comeback. Don't be surprised if you see painted screens on the next place I rent. I love these!
The painted screens are brilliant! They provide art for passersby and fresh air - with privacy intact - to residents. Thanks to the very kind woman at the Hatton Senior Center where I began my search (she took a screen off the window so I could see how they look on both sides) I learned that the painting is not visible from the inside as long as you don't get any paint in the holes. Screens of all sizes, including screen doors, are painted. So cool!

This is an 1843 Methodist Church....photo does not do justice to this building. It is extraordinary!
The 178 foot Doric column was the first monument erected to honor George Washington.

Thanks for stopping by! Enjoy the rest of your weekend. More soon.....

3 comments:

  1. When you get here you can practice your screen-painting skills on one of mine! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don't tease me! I will paint your screens!

    ReplyDelete