Monday, April 30, 2012

Delaware

Greetings from The First State!

Lewes is the first town in the first state. It is also the place where I'll catch the ferry to New Jersey, home to the Lightship Overfalls, and home to Cape Henlopen State Park.

The Lightship Overfalls was built in 1938 and was one of the last ones constructed. The US government initiated the use of manned or floating lighthouses in the 1820s and the last lightship was decommissioned in 1985.

As for Cape Henlopen....just look!

The state park has several of these observation towers, which were built during WW II. The towers here were the eyes of Fort Miles, but the towers begin further south in Delaware Seashores State Park.

For the boys on the blog: This is but one of many anti-ship guns at Fort Miles. It's a MKVI 3A11 and required a crew of 25; its range was 20 miles

I have travelled much of Delaware on two-lane highways in the last couple days including St. Michaels on the Chesapeake Bay side, Bowers Beach on the Delaware Bay, and New Castle on the Delaware River.

Just an FYI: St. Michaels has a population of about 500. This past weekend was the annual Winefest, which brings in 1,500 tourists. The high schooler who scooped my excellent S'mores ice cream told me the high school prom and Winefest were scheduled for the same weekend. He also said it was a busy night for the police - yep, the Winefest folks were the bigger challenge. I guess sophisticated drunks....are still drunks!

In Rehoboth Beach, I found my way to Thrasher's! That's right...my favorite French fry restaurant - or maker, for those of you who still think restaurant is just not the proper word :-). Do not be alarmed! I know Thrasher's looks closed, but this is the other location. The first location is about a 1 minute walk toward the beach. Because I like to keep these posts informative, I thought you'd like to know Thrasher's has some competition now; it's a place called Bricker's, which I tested. It just so happens Bricker's originated in York, PA. Some people prefer them. I don't think they'll win, but now you know you have a choice!


What I didn't do last time I was in Rehoboth Beach was eat at Nicola Pizza, which has been around for just over 40yrs. It's "on the Avenue" too, just a couple blocks west of Thrasher's. I am happy to report that I loved their pizza!

Before leaving Florida I had read that the first few miles of Delaware (Delaware Seashores State Park) was the prettiest and best stretch of coast in the state. As it turns out, the area is very nice...but even the park employee told me to camp further north - at Cape Henlopen. That is the most beautiful stretch of coastline I've seen since Ocracoke, NC. It almost reminds me of the Outer Banks, but it strikes me as less wild somehow. Interestingly, this state park has the largest sand hill (at 80ft) between Cape Cod and Cape Hatteras.

I think that's all from Delaware...more soon.

3 comments:

  1. How are the skeeters? Are they out and about yet? And did you have pizza with a french fry chaser, or how did that work? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The the Mosquitos have been out and about since I left the island. They were especially mean in North Carolina! As for dinner, the fries were kind of an appetizer. I ate those on the beach, then grabbed a mini pizza. And I'd do it again :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. A floating light house? That's so cool!

    ReplyDelete