Saturday, April 28, 2012

Off to Baltimore

Hey Everybody,

It turns out that my friend, Joe, grew up in Baltimore. He spent Thursday showing me the places I never would have found on my own, including what must be the most beautiful street in town, painted screens, and the Women's Industrial Exchange on N. Charles St. I loved Baltimore! For me, it is the perfect size city - lots to see and do and easily navigable. Thus, I returned on Friday to explore on my own before heading back to the beach, which is where I am tonight...in the cold & rain. If anyone sees Kathy at BSB, please tell her I won't make fun of those cute little pink socks she wears with flip flops again because this afternoon I wore a pair of socks at the beach....it was that cold.

The Women's Industrial Exchange began shortly after the Civil War. It was started to help women earn money discreetly by selling their handiwork. Today the gift shop sells items made by men and women. There is so much stuff in the shop: handmade toys, clothes, dishes, and soaps. They also serve lunch during the week in the coolest diner. Each table has been designated to a woman (or group of women) in history and covered with related photos, articles, and quotes.

Once back in York, we tried a new pizza place in town, Parma, and I think we all agree it was great pizza! Many thanks to my friends in York!

From Federal Hill....pictures of the Harbor:

1. Domino Sugar - I would never have guessed there'd be a sugar plant in Baltimore.

2. We don't know what this boat is, but what great timing! The Rusty Scupper Restaurant is expensive and there is much better food in town. And that red building is Seven Foot Knoll, an old screwpile lighthouse.


3. Just wanted you to see that cute little lighthouse....

4.Francis Scott Key wrote The Star-Spangled Banner on September 14, 1814 - the morning after the British ceased their attack on Baltimore during the War of 1812. Like Gettysburg, Fort McHenry's visitor center has a great film that bring these events to life. There were soldiers from this war buried at the Gettysburg National Cemetery. I feel fortunate to have visited these two remarkable sites back to back.

5. We watched this tanker being guided by the tugs- sure hope it makes it under the bridge....

One more Baltimore post coming up....

No comments:

Post a Comment