Saturday, April 7, 2012

Georgia Waterfronts

Hey Everybody!

At last I seem back to myself, so I spent much of the day exploring - you know, before doing laundry. Even on the road chores must be done! Anyway, I started out this morning on St. Simons Island (SSI) because it is the most tourist oriented and gets crowded. Since it was a "cold" morning I lucked out - got in and out of the island village before it got busy. From the pier I could see several shrimp boats, but I have yet to learn what they were doing. All I have learned so far is shrimp boats go out at night since shrimp are nocturnal (who knew?!) and unload their catch in the morning. Anybody know? Where's Forrest Gump when you need him? So, the SSI photos are:

1. Shrimp boats

2. Local pelican that stalks people for fish
3. A person really has to commit to water to live here! It's low tide right now. There is actual beach, but not on this part of the island.

4. SSI Lighthouse

5. SSI public access beach...you know it's a tourist beach when the walkway is carpeted!

From SSI I drove about 16 miles to Darien, which was established in 1736 if I remember correctly. Once a major seaport for rice, cotton and timber, Darien was later home to one of Georgia's largest shrimp boat fleets. As it turns out, Darien has a "First Saturday" street festival...I think there were 6 vendors! The pics fom this stop are:

1. An 1876 Episcopal church built for "the Colored people of McIntosh County" per the plaque.

2. Port of Darien

And....my favorite stop of the day: Jekyll Island, which is less crowded and not so touristy. SSI has no fee to enter; it's $5 just to drive onto Jekyll Island, but it's worth it. There are miles of trails & paths - foot and bike. Jekyll Island photos:

1. Don't want to walk or peddle, ride a horse along Driftwood Beach!

2. Driftwood Beach with SSI in the background.

3. This feisty little crab could be a Disney character! I just happened upon him and he immediately stepped up his defense. Normally, crabs just try to get away. This dude came at me - running - without hesitation....repeatedly! After a few laughs and pictures, I walked away. He was still standing his ground...

4. This is what's behind you when standing on Driftwood Beach.

5. Shells from Driftwood Beach. Yes, I left them there!! Oysters, a well-traveled Atantic Whelk, and Angel Wings. Angel Wings! - those are not easy to find, but here they are in all sizes.

6. Farther south is a larger public beach and the pic just won't do justice to the sandbar at low tide...but there are people walking almost beyond visual range. If you can zoom this photo, you might see a group of 3 people (far right). At high tide, it can be covered to a depth of 10 feet!

My original plan was 3 days in Georgia, but getting sick and booking the ferry to Cumberland Island (for tomorrow!) changed that plan. I'm glad though...the Georgia coast is beautiful. Having said that, I haven't seen an inch of coastline from the Keys to GA that even comes close to that little Gulf island I call home.

Enjoy the rest of your weekend and Happy Easter.

 

1 comment:

  1. I am very proud of you for leaving the shells on the beach. I know that was very hard for you. :)

    ReplyDelete