Tuesday, April 3, 2012

Random images of the area...

Word on the street is we have severe weather headed this way, so it looks like I will spend a couple more days indoors when I head to Georgia tomorrow. That's okay with me though because it has been 90+ degrees everyday, which defeats the purpose of getting through the southern states in early spring. The mosquitoes and no-see-ums are winning the battle lately based on all the bites, but I will survive!

Area images:

1. This is how the rare Cumberland Island resident restocks supplies. Drive from your house to your dock, take boat to Fernandina Beach to shop, return home to load supplies in vehicle, and drive home.

2. When in Fernandina Beach you must have shrimp since this is the place that modernized the industry - unless you don't like seafood. If that's the case, then try Peppers Mexican restaurant on Centre St. That's where I discovered my new favorite dish: Shrimp Nachos; brilliant invention! Not only was I impressed with the shrimp dish, but this place had the best avocados I have seen outside of California. The community has fewer than 10 shrimp boats now (used to have about 150) due to changes in the global market among other things...
3. Once upon a time....in the island's glory? days there was a street in town that was a favorite among the men. Care to guess which one? :-)
4. Speaking of women and work....here's an advertisement for women from Fort Clinch State Park.
5. This very green place is Willow Pond....found along a trail at Fort Clinch State Park. Alligators hang out here, but I saw none today.
6. The next two photos are from Big Talbot Island State Park. This shoreline trail takes you to a place that looks like Beer Can Island (local hangout that used to have lots of these trees, near Anna Maria Island) on steroids! I think the mosquitoes were bigger here too!
7. One last photo of Amelia Island...
That's all for tonight....thanks for stopping by!

 

2 comments:

  1. I can't even comprehend 90* in the same country I live it. I know it happens, but.... On the plus side, some of our trees are starting to leaf out! SL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a great place, except for the 90* thing.

    ReplyDelete