Friday, April 6, 2012

Surviving the road

Hey Everybody!

I know it's been a couple days, but I've been laid up in a hotel room with some kind of food thing...it has not been fun, but finally late this afternoon I was able to eat and got out for a while. The first week on the road was a challenge, but I am surviving and carrying on...Best of all, the weather has cleared and turned cooler. I will be glad to head back to a campground soon.

I have only a few local (Brunswick, GA) photos for you.

1. Old City Hall building - according to the three officers I spoke with it was built in 1891 and is still used today. In fact, they told me that if they give me a ticket, I will go to court on the 3rd floor! I assured them I wouldn't do anything to get a ticket. The officers were very kind and said they would have opened the building so I could see inside, but they didn't have a key. They also told me about "First Night'" which is a once a month/first Friday event in the historic district with live music, art, etc.

2. The O'Reallys were playing in one of the plazas. They performed some old southern rock, old traditionals, and a little Bob Dylan too.

3. This is The Lovers Tree. The plaque states the tree has been recognized as having been alive in this spot at the time of the signing of the Constitution. I found nothing about why locals call it the lovers tree, but assume this once might have been two trees that became one fluid live oak. Or maybe it was always one with two clear halves made more perfect because of the union. Whatever it is....it's beautiful. St. Augustine had a "Love Tree" also - a palm tree growing out of a live oak tree. That was pretty cool, but this one in Brunswick is infinitely more beautiful.


4. This last pic is just a glimpse of what I've seen down nearly every road I've driven in Georgia.
Anyway, as I said....I am surviving and remain hopeful that this road trip will only get better. I hope you have a good weekend. I'll be in touch again soon.

 

2 comments:

  1. Glad you're feeling better. Where are you off to next? SL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear you are feeling better. Great pictures and stories.

    ReplyDelete