Monday, September 3, 2012

On the Water.....

Hey Everybody!

For the first time in 38hrs I am on land. Thought I'd try to get off a quick post (and give the rain a chance to pass over) before wandering further around town. Town is Ketchikan, Alaska for about 3hrs this morning. But first, a few shots from Bellingham.

This is the M/V Kennicott - my home until Friday morning when I arrive in Kodiak, AK. You are looking at the car deck, which is also where passengers walk on.

Living in FL means that our local news shows boat fires from time to time, but this is as close as I've been to one. The photo doesn't show it, but I could see the flames. Guess everybody knows it's a goner....nobody is doing anything except watching.
Last shot from the ferry terminal.....
Images from the first sunset (Sat. night)
And the moon as it rises next to Mt. Baker.
The water is like glass at times, except when we're in open waters (3x so far). We really do some rocking in those waters. Because this ferry adventure is my big pre-Drake Passage test I haven't taken any motion sickness pills & I mostly stay outside, moving around. Well, except for that one very nice nap...

Sunday morning began with a pod of Orcas in the distance. But maybe you can see their blows in the pic in front of the fishing boat. We are passing a good number of southbound fishing boats as we head north - their season is about over & they are heading home.

You are now looking at the view by late Sunday afternoon..... It's much better now, but this is fairly typical northbound weather.
I have to get back to walking now....must reload ferry in 75 minutes. I will tell you more about the ferry another time though. Thanks for stopping by!

2 comments:

  1. Love the full-moon picture! Very cool! SL

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope you stood on the bow of the boat and yelled "I'm king of the world!"

    ReplyDelete