Saturday, September 29, 2012

High Seas to Homer

Hey Everybody!

I'm starting to dislike the line, "We're expecting some weather" or maybe I just don't want to hear about hurricanes when I'm in open water. When last I wrote it was about 9/23....the end of a beautiful & calm day on the water. I had no idea it would come to such a dramatic or LONG end.

The original ferry schedule indicated we would arrive in Homer about 2pm - giving me almost 2 full days to explore this small artsy city. But we were behind due to weather on the southbound journey, so most of us figured we'd arrive between 4-5. Ha! Turns out the stretch of Pacific Ocean between Kodiak and Homer can be more challenging than the Unimak Pass.

After roughly 16hrs of 50-70mph winds with gusts to 80 mph AND 25-30ft seas, we docked in Homer around 9pm. Our Greek taxi driver put it all in perspective. He said the ferry was like an old woman, "always slow & always rocking." I did not get sick, but wasn't having much fun either! Visibility was poor & the captain even considered turning back. I am SO glad he didn't; we'd travelled too far to have to start over the next day! On rare occasions I went on deck for fresh air. Reading became increasingly difficult. I didn't eat (except some crackers & microwave popcorn). The bridge asked us not to move around much. I ran out of sleep, but stayed in bed most of the time.

Here's the interesting part: The Drake Passage seas can reach 45ft and winds can gust up to 100mph. Of course, the vessel & the environment will be different....so maybe....maybe I won't get sick. And look, the Homer Spit has a sign for Cape Horn (part of next month's journey)....only 9,503 miles away!

Sadly, this means I had only one full day in Homer & a rainy day at that, but still I wandered around the spit and through town. I definitely want to return to Homer....a lot of places were already closed for the winter, but it just has a cool vibe. The population is about half that of Kodiak, but it doesn't feel as small.

The Center for Alaskan Coastal Studies proved to be a great find. Not only do they coordinate beach clean-ups and environmental education, but also the staff are cool and kind. I caught a ride to the end of the Spit with one of them & we traded music recommendations in the car. This is one of the plastic debris art projects...

The tip of the Homer Spit
It's so rare to see clean buoys on dry land that I had to include this one.
There are a bunch of stores on the Spit, but nearly all were closed. There is a campground out there too....would LOVE to camp out by the water next trip!

Ok....almost caught up to the present. Flew to Fairbanks on 9/27 hoping to see Northern Lights. Weather is not going to be especially cooperative with that plan, but I am hopeful enough that I have found my viewing spots.

Guess that's all for now. Thanks for stopping by....more soon.

3 comments:

  1. Glad I'm reading about those rough seas AFTER THE FACT!!!! Glad you're safe and sound.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Did you make it to the Salty Dawg?

    ReplyDelete
  3. No, but I saw it. It didn't appear to be open when I walked by there. Next time...

    ReplyDelete