Tuesday, September 18, 2012

Final note from Kodiak.....

Disclaimer: Unless I get close to a bear. I WILL report that!

 

Hey Everybody!

In less than 24hrs I will be back on an Alaska Ferry for the 5.5 day round-trip to Dutch Harbor & on to Homer. I have no idea about contact during that leg of the journey, but should be in touch again by the 25th.

So, this Ft. Abercrombie and one of the many happy trees at the state park. I mIght have mentioned it before, but this is a great place to hike in the rain because the canopy keeps you pretty dry.
As a special treat for my surfing friends....

While it might sound a bit unexpected, Alaska is known for some great surfing beaches. Surfers' Beach on Kodiak Island is one of them. I wish I'd been out there on a stormy day when the waves are big, but this is what surfers had on this day.

The Skimin board below was made in Kodiak by a local resident. He has passed away and one of his boards now hangs in the ski/surf shop.
This next pic is specifically for FlatJen's alter ego....I was given a tip that the Deadliest Catch's vessel, Time Bandit, was in Kodiak for repairs. It is pretty well covered up compared to old red here, but that skull logo (or whatever it is) was visible to me. Not so much the camera because I HAD to hurry out of the area. But it's official....FlatJen has shared the ground with Time Bandit. :-)

One of the few things I hadn't done in Kodiak was visit the local fisheries research center -- by the way, very few according to locals who noted only missing a BBQ & climbing to top of the tallest mountain here -- anyway, it has a touch tank & aquarium open to the public. You are looking at: (1) a Christmas Anemone and (2) a fishy blue suede Elvis.
Have I mentioned how quickly Autumn happens here. This place was GREEN when I arrived. In a matter of a couple days some trees had leaves change color & fly away. And...in the last 12 days we have lost at least one hour of daylight.
And that's about wraps up Kodiak. I am currently doing laundry & hope to get to sleep early tonight (up til 12am last night) so I can have one more morning to look for bears :-). As always, thanks for stopping by! I'll be in touch as able.

3 comments:

  1. I love the Christmas Anemone. And "real" Jen will be soooooooooooooo excited! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The real Jen is SOOOOOO EXCITED!!! Thank you Thank you Thank you!! MY Friend, I appreciate you taking me on this trip!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Jen....glad u r enjoying ur big adventure :-)!!

    ReplyDelete