Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Heading for The Aleutian Chain

FYI: 9/20/12 travel day

Hey Everybody!

We did a lot of rocking & rolling overnight, but nothing like it sometimes gets out here. Today has been calmer & the rain stopped early this afternoon, so I think it's safe to say we lucked out on the first full day of travel.

Our first stop was Chignik Bay - a small fishing village. Actually, there are 3 small communities here. Just prior to docking passengers were informed that the village would be given lunch service first. Sure enough, a line of people were waiting at the dock for a ferry lunch! But I didn't take a pic of that.... This is their fishing dock.

The highlight for me was Castle Cape. It is often covered by fog, but we had a pretty good look at around 1:45pm. I'm glad because I'm pretty sure it'll be dark when we pass it on the northbound voyage. The next pic is Castle Cape from the south side about 30min later...look how nice the weather turned! The cool thing is that in ALL the miles we're traveling there isn't another similar formation.

By the time we arrived in Chignik Bay the trees had essentially disappeared, although they had brush on the mountainsides. Shortly thereafter, even the brush was absent. Weather conditions are too harsh out here for most trees & plants. It's amazing to see this enormous volcanic chain of islands....there seems to be layers of islands with an occasional snowy mountain range in the background.

As if this remote stretch of earth on a sunny day wasn't enough.....FlatJen was called upon once again to rescue a passenger. Not only did she succeed, but she took the time to save first & then pose for the photo with the rescued party. Phew....that last time was really embarrassing....who poses before completing the rescue :-)

We have a few more stops to make before reaching Dutch Harbor on Saturday morning (I think)....but so far no service, so I'll post this when I can. Hope this finds you well....thanks for stopping by!

3 comments:

  1. I am glad that I had the energy to take a picture after that rescue! I also received a post card in the mail yesterday from The Time Bandit. How nice of the Hillstrand boys to think of me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay, Castle Cape is very cool...especially from a distance where it really looks like a castle. Sort of reminds me of Harry Potter's Castle. And by the way, the gal Flat Jen rescued looks like someone I know!!! But I'm pretty sure she's not in Alaska right now! Wow! SL

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Castle Cape is interesting. Good thing Flat Jen was there for the rescue!

    ReplyDelete