Thursday, November 1, 2012

Ushuaia, Argentina

 

Hey Everybody!

So, I left Buenos Aires at 4:40am, arriving in Ushuaia approximately 3.5hrs later. Ushuaia is the southernmost city in the world. It has a population of about 65,000. It tends to get much busier around here between Nov-April when the otherwise icy waterways are open for travel. It is not crowded right now as we are on the first ship out this season. A couple images from the plane - our descent and landing.

I'm SO grateful to the hotel for letting me check in at 9am because I wanted a shower more than I wanted a meal! I was hungry, but first wandered around town and took a little nap. By 2pm I was so hungry I settled for the first place I could find....it turned out to be enough food for days! After another nap...I returned to the streets and this time found the cafes that I can try if I am ever hungry again....

This was so NOT the dish I thought I ordered! Quite unusual, but a couple bites did taste pretty yummy. It was supposed to be an Americana pizza, which I had for the first time in Australia.....totally different here! I'm not saying french fries on pizza is wrong, but it certainly never occurred to me. But then, neither did multiple fried eggs.

Not my travel office....but just too cool not to photograph!!

I was a bit disappointed to see that our "super yacht" needed some maintenance prior to embarkation...

Ok, actually this a rescue tug, Saint Christopher - it has been beached and abandoned here for decades after being damaged during a rescue attempt. It serves as a reminder of the treacherous channel. The Port of Ushuaia is in the background.

Part of town & what was behind me:

This appears to be a building for a fishermen's association. Loved their sign:
"Here we get gathered around the fire, the hunters, the fishers and other liers from the most southern part of the world."
That's all for now.... I plan to explore more tomorrow, so stay tuned!
 

2 comments:

  1. I know you said you had the pizza in the evening, but I really think they should advertise it as breakfast pizza!

    ReplyDelete