Saturday, November 24, 2012

Santiago, Chile

Hey Everybody!

I am pretty sure it's Saturday morning....it's hard to keep track sometimes. I spent most of yesterday traveling but not as planned. I had heard that flight changes were common at least in parts of S. America, but was still not quite prepared for the randomness of it. My flight out of Ushuaia left late (quite common!) and also changed arrival airports, which could have been a big bummer since I had a connection to catch. Luckily, airline agents were on top of things & arranged a new connection for me. The connection left late with no updates during the delay. I finally got through Chilean customs about 1:15AM & settled in for the night - on the tile floor because the better spots were taken by then. I got enough sleep though & am eagerly waiting to board the flight to Easter Island.

I passed one of the airport gift shops on the way to bed and was stunned (somewhat more than I'd like to admit :-) ) by the all the statues on display. Thus I am writing to confess that I only grasped that I was on my way to the island full of Moab statues around 1:30AM, which seems to be about the same time I realized I was in Chile! Just as surprising was my response to the store display: already I think I need to live on Easter Island!

By the way, the flight to Santiago was the BEST landing of my entire life. I've only had 2-3 other REALLY impressive landings over the years, but last night's was like landing on clouds. Not a bump, not a sound. Quite flawless... wish that happened more often.

Guess I better get to my gate....I have Moab's to meet! I'll let you know if the place is as wonderful as I expect it to be. Santiago seems very smoggy this morning....hope that's not the case in the middle of the ocean. Have a good weekend. I hope to get the first Antarctic pics up from the island....

2 comments:

  1. Be sure to leave some gifts for the Moab gods. They'll appreciate it! :) SL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet landing! Hope the next flight was as good.

    ReplyDelete