Friday, November 2, 2012

From Ushuaia (11-2-12)

Hey Everybody!

First of all, I am happy to report that I have found a perfect little cafe that serves food that doesn't scare me! It's called Banana & I highly recommend it. Have eaten there twice (and not only because it's near the gelato shop) - it is very good price & taste.

Secondly, because Ushuaia has signs posted re: being the capital of the Malvinas (or The Falkland Islands as the UK says) I thought I should mention that these signs also state that the UK occupies the territory illegally & it's in the Argentine Constitution that Argentina is rightful owner.

Next....because I knew that you couldn't bear to wait until after my trip for photos I took a 5hr boat tour of the Beagle Channel (as in Charles Darwin & the Beagle Voyage back in the 1830s). The channel was formed by glaciers and is quite narrow & shallow (10 meters) in spots. It's no wonder shipwrecks were common. Yep, I went just for you.....it had nothing to do with the knowledge that the last stop before turning around was Penguin Island!

So, here are today's pics beginning with Ushuaia from the catamaran.

I think these are Imperial Cormorants....the fancy headdress is due to the mating season.
The blue-eyed birds share their rock islands with South American Sea Lions.
What else.....a lighthouse! Les Eclaireurs
The island in the foreground is known as Gable Island & was also formed by glaciers.
Almost forgot....you wanted to see penguins on Penguin Island:
First up, the Magellanic Penguin. Because it's mating season there are fewer penguins out on the beach. I was lucky enough to catch a live mating show, including the post-coitus dance...but these penguins are hard to photograph! So glad I got to practice today. Maybe it'll be easier on land?
The island is actually home to two breeds: Magellanic and Gentoo. The holes (caves) are nesting homes for the Magellanic; the Gentoo nest on the surface.
My favorite (and most cooperative) penguin of the day....the Gentoo.

Guess I better get ready for bed...thanks for stopping by! I hope to get one more day of pics posted before leaving Ushuaia.

1 comment:

  1. I'm a little surprised you posted penguin photos already, but I'm glad you did!

    ReplyDelete