Saturday, June 9, 2012

Longyearbyen (one last look)

Hey Everybody!

Have been wandering around today - still a couple hours before we board the boat. I met some other travelers at the local museum & learned there are only about 50 people on this trip. Love it! Probably not great for business, but it's awesome for the 50 of us on this trip!

I walked to the edge of town - basically as far as the polar bear sign & beach before turning back toward town.

This is a building from the "old times" - it's a mining building and was used to transport coal. The building is no longer used but cannot be touched because everything here before 1947 is protected.


Gotta exercise your dogs in the summer too....so locals hook them up to wheels. Looks fun!

Speaking of dogs, two kennels on the edge of town:

Reindeer for Captain Heidi! They are stuffed and in a museum, but they will have to do until I see live ones :-)

This is the museum's library....

The hotel bar... Reindeer skins are put out each day for the guests to use as blankets while they drink. Up the street is a club for the younger locals - last night I saw a couple guys bring a couch and pillows outside to hang out and listen to music.

My wi-fi access expires in a few minutes so I need to get this posted. I will be in touch....eventually.

2 comments:

  1. Frankly, the raindeer skins sort of creep me out...just sayin'. But WAHOO! Only 50 people on the ship. I hope that means you get your own room! SL

    ReplyDelete
  2. As it turns out I did get my own room, but I will save that story for later!

    ReplyDelete