Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Just another rainy day...

When I promised you a snorkel tale I had no idea the universe would deliver in such grand fashion. I’m using the local YMCA for snorkel practice by order of the trip’s captain [for info about the trip: http://www.consciousbreathadventures.com/ ]. This afternoon was practice #3.

After finally settling on a wetsuit today I decided to relax with a trip to the Y’s outdoor pool, especially since the storm passed and we had sunny skies. The wetsuit warrants a post of its own; however I must protect any remnants of dignity! Briefly, wetsuits are the equivalent of a human shedding skin and then putting it back on in one piece from feet to head after it turns into a thick and clingy rubber. There is nothing sexy about the wetsuit process! Back to the safety of the pool….

I asked the lifeguard how she smiled with snorkel and she gave me a suggestion. The gray-haired man sharing my swim lane asked, “Problem with the snorkel?”
Me: No, Well, yeah I guess. I need to practice smiling with the snorkel….
Him: Why?
Me: I was instructed to because I’m going on a whale encounter trip and people tend to smile while underwater.
Him [judgmental laughter]: The whales don’t care if you’re smiling. They won’t be close enough anyway.
Me [not correcting either fallacy!]: I don’t think he suggested we practice for the whales…

About two minutes later I’m swimming along and nearly burst into laughter at the spontaneous replay of his foolishness. And guess what? Using the lifeguard’s tip to lightly bite the mouthpiece while “gritting & grinning” worked!

On the very next lap the sky darkened and lightning struck. A different lifeguard, fearful I would not exit pool, kept saying “Mam, mam you have to get out now!” I don't think it's appropriate to say "mam" when the person looks like a creature that lives in a sea cave. I tried to reply but with a mask, snorkel & fins I’m pretty sure I just came out like some deep sea creature hoping to evolve into one that could speak & walk!

Entries won’t always be so long, but this’ll make up for the days I don’t write.
ps Thanks for your enthusiastic responses!

No comments:

Post a Comment