Friday, January 11, 2013

In Namibia

Hey Everybody!

After a bit of an afternoon nap to recover from the long trip, I am pleased to report that Namibia wasn't as hot as I expected. It was only about 88* when I landed at 2pm. And now, after 8pm there is such a nice breeze outside. I was worried the nights camping would be too hot, but if this weather holds it should be quite comfortable (you know, if I remember to shake my boots before wearing them to scare away any scorpions!).

The flight over was long, but not bad. The plane arrived about one hour early. Actually, each of my four flights landed early & left on time. Like that!

I have no photos for you yet. There isn't anywhere I can walk to from the hotel this evening, but hopefully there will be a couple pics by tomorrow night.

On first glimpse, the landscape is a bit like the Australian Outback, but not as flat, more green and the trees look taller. Windhoek is a mountainous bush area with palm trees. It is the capital (and largest city) of Namibia; population around 250,000. The country's unemployment rate is 52%, which the taxi driver explained to me (after he possibly "stole" me from another driver).

That's it for now...have a good weekend.

2 comments:

  1. Shake those boots well - scorpians are scary!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I commented on this awhile ago. Where did it go? Anyway I believe I said something about my mom having to check her shoes for scorpions in AZ too.

    ReplyDelete