Tuesday, December 18, 2012

One last post from Antarctica.....

Hey Everybody!

So, on the morning of November 19th we made landfall on the Peninsula at Paradise Harbour - an actual shore excursion on the Antarctic Mainland! The Argentinian Station is here - Brown Base.

The snow was quite deep here - there were places where I fell in thigh-deep, but getting out was manageable (and amusing). We also did some zodiac cruising. Here are a few pics from the morning:
Later the same day, we made landfall at a second mainland Harbour (Orne). Some people hiked a steep & slippery trail to see a Chinstrap Penguin colony. I knew I could walk up the hill, but wasn't looking forward to the icy walk down. Thus, on this last shore excursion of the trip I hung out at the base of the mountain for awhile and then had a most excellent final zodiac cruise. Many people skipped this last cruise and/or had shorter excursion with a less adventurous driver.
I was most pleased to get up close to these huge snow dunes in a hidden cove way out in the bay.
And we were able to get up closer to glaciers on this final Antarctic outing: I did mention my favorite color here was blue, right :-)
Once again, thanks for traveling along on this voyage that took forever to post. I think I have a little more from Easter Island and we'll be all caught up. More soon.....

 

2 comments:

  1. Those are so beautiful. It looks like someone came along and blew out (explosion style) the snow/ice to build snow sculptures. The fact that this isn't what happens makes them even more stunning.

    ReplyDelete