Saturday, December 8, 2012

Grytviken [S. Georgia continued]

Hey Everybody,

From Stromness we traveled overnight to Grytviken - famous for its whaling station and for being Ernest Shackleton's final resting place. At 11:30AM our group joined expedition staff at the cemetery for a whiskey toast to his memory. I drank too, which is unusual for me, but I was hoping that a shot of whiskey would help me combat the cold I inherited from my cabin mate. It didn't, but it did help me stay up until 4AM with my new ship friends [probably not so good for fighting colds!].


Anyway.... Grytviken is one of the oldest whaling stations [1904], but also served as seal hunting grounds as a sideline activity. The remaining ships and structures suggest it was a huge whale processing site. I understand the times were different back then, but I must confess that I don't think I can bear another whaling station this year. I do not appreciate them for historical significance; I just see the whale bones of whales that could have lived. Grytviken is where the largest Blue Whale ever recorded [112ft] was taken [1912]. 





Grytviken is also well-known for its Whalers' Church.
 
As you can see, we had beautiful weather during our 
day here....


Grytviken wasn't all bad...we had elephant seals, some penguins, and antarctic fur seals. Here a Gentoo and a King Penguin were bickering over territory. We didn't see much of that during the trip....most penguins seem to get along.



Remember that the fur seals are the pseudo-aggressive ones, so I am not quite as close to this one as it looks. 

That's all for tonight....the best of South Georgia is still to come! Stay tuned & thanks for stopping by!

1 comment: