Saturday, March 31, 2012

Florida: Yesterday & Today

Hey Everybody!

I still feel a bit disorganized out here, but am finding my way to places I wanted to see. Although I must confess that I didn't spend much time in The Keys, I did make it all the way to Key West for the official start of my East Coast journey. More importantly, if someone would please pass this message to the Captain of the Heidi Ann; thanks. Captain, we need to bring the boat to The Keys! There is much to explore and, yes, I will drive!

This is my favorite pic from the Overseas Highway:

I also found time to snorkel and walk a short path at John Pennecamp State Park - America's first underwater park. Labadee's reef is still my favorite, but the reef in these photos (the Grecian) is still alive (although there's a lot of bleaching) and has a variety of sea creatures...including huge lobsters and a five foot Barracuda moving way too fast for me!

Today's main stop was the Coral Castle in Homestead. I learned about this place in the last year and am so glad to finally visit it. And so grateful the rain started after I left. This place is so cool! I found it a bit troubling that coral rock chairs and beds were more comfortable than my tent, but I trust that will pass! As you can see I got a bit sidetracked by the iguanas. They're just so cute...

The Rest of the day was spent traveling north on the coast road. It looks like I won't make Georgia by 4/1, but in the next couple days probably. Hope this finds you well. Till next time....

2 comments:

  1. Coral Castle was busier (it apprears) when we were there. I found it difficult to get a photo w/o other people (strangers) in it. :) SL

    ReplyDelete
  2. There were some people around, but I waited them out! Fortunately, it wasn't crowded. One FYI: state park is spelled Pennekamp - cant have you googling the wrong name

    ReplyDelete